Introduction to algorithms
Key Stage: Key Stage 2 Coding Language: Scratch Resource type: Lesson plan + teacher guide
Algorithms are a series of intructions, laid out in the right order, designed to complete a task or solve a problem. Use this simple lesson plan and accompanying guide to introduce the basics of algorithms. Ideal for pupils and teachers who are just starting out with computing and a great first step to understanding how computers work.
Key resource information
- You will need: Pencil and paper, laptops or desktop computers, access to https://scratch.mit.edu
Teaching assessment opportunities
- Have the children try each other's games and give feedback.
- What went well and what could we do to improve?
- 45 minutes
- I can explain what an algorithm is and how they relate to real life and computer programmes.
- I can create an algorithm in Scratch
Introduction to loops
Creating clear and simple code makes fixing, or debugging, your code much easier and using loops to simplify your instructions is a great way to start writing efficient code. In this lesson get the class moving as they learn about loops through dance before moving on to create a drawing project using loops in Scratch.