Introduction to Micro:bit - Barclays Code Playground
Key Stage: Key Stage 2 Coding Language: Micro:bit Resource type: Lesson plan
The BBC Micro:bit is an external device designed to introduce children to the basics of coding through physical computing. It's a great way to help your class understand the relationship between code and the devices it controls. Use this lesson to introduce the micro:bit and help your class get started with physical computing.
Key resource information
- You will need: Laptops or desktop computers, BBC micro:bits (one per computer), https://microbit.org
Teaching assessment opportunities
- Have the children try out each other’s’ code – did they all use the same blocks?
- What was different?
- Is there only one right way to complete the task?
- 45 minutes
- "I can control my micro:bit with a range of input actions to get my desired output action”
- “I understand the operation of a process and its outcome. I can structure related items of information.”
- “I can explore and comment on processes in the world around me making use of core computational thinking concepts and can organise information in a logical way.”